Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What do i do for my horse who has mild colic! i gave her molasses and sunflower oil What next?

My mare has a protruding gullet about 1 inch she is still going to the toilet and isnt showing any signs of discomfort i gave her oil lastnight and i need some advice apart from taking her pulse and temp what else can i do???should i give more her oil today???Please help!!What do i do for my horse who has mild colic! i gave her molasses and sunflower oil What next?
If this is only minor colic, I would suggest that you walk her on a lead. This should help to get things moving, after the oil.





My only concern would be a blockage or strangulated intestine. If her abdomen remains distended, you should contact your vet.





Good luck.





I missed the part about sunflower oil. I agree with the previous poster - you should be using mineral oil, not vegetable. I've never done it myself, had the vet do it.


I believe it was a gallon of mineral oil and water, administered by stomach tube, through a nostril.What do i do for my horse who has mild colic! i gave her molasses and sunflower oil What next?
call your vet





never seen a horse with a protruding gullet - what did she do? eat a saddle? (haha horse humor)
Next time try putting this in the horse section for more responses.





If you suspect colic then feed mineral oil, not a digestible oil like sunflower. If the horse will eat I'll feed bran and oil mixed together w/molasses to make it appealing. Otherwise you have to force feed the oil alone.





Yes I'd feed oil/bran for several days to really lube her guts up, also feed hay or grass, no grain for a while assuming she was on grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment